Travel Troll Dolls
The Travel Troll Dolls started as a little idea germinating in the far recesses of my ever-busy brain racing with lots of new ideas :-)
I have lived in five countries (Australia, New Zealand, USA, Greece, France) and travelled to many, many more, so the thought of having a little lucky Travel Troll to tuck into my bag seemed like a good idea.
The design came from brain to my pencil and then onto paper, and within 24 hours I had created my first happy little Travel Trolls.
Each Travel Troll Doll is unique, and is hand-drawn by me – Teena Hughes – the silk artist.
You will receive a signed Certificate of Authenticity/Birth Certificate for your very own Travel Troll Doll with its own name.
- Each Travel Troll Doll with be unique, and will be the same size as all the others, but will be painted differently. There is no need to choose – you will receive a named unique Travel Troll Doll.
- Approx 8″/20cm high. Approx 1″/2.5cm thick.
- Padding: toy fiberfill.
- Machine wash with care, place inside a lingerie wash bag to protect the doll.
Ready to order? $US35.00 each + shipping
If you’d like to order several items, there is a Flat Rate shipping fee of $US15.00 per order.
The Life of a Travel Troll Doll – from idea to delivery :-)
How the Travel Troll Dolls are born
After I put my ideas on paper, I need to transfer them to the silk; here are the steps required.
- I buy white silk, and stretch the silk onto large wooden frames.
- If the design needs to be drawn on the silk, I do that with the outliner and let it dry.
- I then apply the silk dyes by painting with a small paintbrush, as though I was creating a painting on paper or canvas.
- It does take a long time but the process is so wonderful and I do enjoy it very much.
- Once the silk dyes have dried, the silk is carefully wrapped in white cotton and placed inside a specially-made silk steaming machine for several hours.
- After washing and drying, the silk is made cut out and sewn into Travel Troll Dolls (wearable art/clothing, interior design items like cushion covers, room dividers and paintings).
I can express my ‘joie de vivre‘ (joy of life) when I’m painting and listening to French music – I go into another world where all the colours are much brighter and the world is truly marvellous :-) Do you like my travel troll dolls? Would you like one for yourself, or a friend?