How to Wash Silk
How to Wash Silk – a simple step-by-step instruction
Silk can be washed by hand, or in a washing machine on the GENTLE cycle for lingerie.
To wash silk by hand:
- NEVER soak
- gently wash in warm water with small amount of liquid wash
- when ready, squeeze out excess water and hold under running water until it runs clear
- squeeze silk but DO NOT WRING, to remove excess moisture
- lay flat on a towel, then roll up into a long sausage shape
- put one end of the towel under your foot, then twist the towel until it is totally twisted
- this removes most of the excess moisture
- hang to dry 5-10 minutes, then use a hot iron while barely damp.
If you look after your silk, it will last you many years and the colours will be colourfast as long as you don’t hang the silk in bright sunlight.
Enjoy! If you have any questions, please let me know by sending me a message.